View Single Post
Old 28th April 2011, 19:05   #14  |  Link
deathlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
As the pictures I posted show, the creators of the Monster Audio Encoder Suite always regard "Left Surround" and "Right Surround" as BACK channels.
Sorry, I don't see how you conclude this.
The top right setup on your image corresponds to the "7.1 standard" configuration (http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electron...gurations.aspx), the image i posted above.

Quote:
Conclusion (and again): beyond 5.1, and until now, there is N0 "correct setup" for consumer-level multichannel audio.
If you are referring to all the "non-standard" dts speaker configs, I agree of course. Unless you have a hunderd speakers or you like moving your speakers around all the time.
But I regard these non-standards configs merely as design studies.

Anyway, as Mark_A_W said, it is not important which way is the "correct", everyone can choose his or her favourite.
I would rather focus on how to realize *any* of the discussed ways without having to make changes manually everytime when switchint between 5.1 and 7.1.
Though of course the method proposed by tebasuna51 has a big advantage:
It doesn't matter if side and back are swapped, say, when playing wave compared to when playing flac. Because side and back simply get the same signal. So if we don't find out how to suppress differences between file formats, we could use this method and be happy. I will see if I can configure ffdshow to do this automatically.
deathlord is offline   Reply With Quote