View Single Post
Old 29th October 2014, 03:10   #5  |  Link
LemMotlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberyman View Post
Some DVDs are heavely interlaced and I want to deinterlace with highest quality possible.
Why? Commercial DVD is almost always "heavily" interlaced (what does "heavily" mean, anyway?), or telecined. What would you consider to be only "moderately" interlaced? Or do you mean to say the DVD looks defective or poorly processed? Commercial BluRay and standard AVCHD are also interlaced except for high-res film based source and 720p. It's done because set top players and TV's are programmed to recognize certain formats as interlaced. Fortunately, decent PC media players deinterlace on the fly. If your video is NTSC at 29.97 fps, deinterlacing will double the number of frames and play at 59.94fps. If you decimate frames to maintain 29.97fps, you'll have motion problems playing on TV and your video will be re-encoded at half its original temporal resolution. If your TV-shows were created on film (a great many of them are), then they aren't interlaced. They're telecined, which should not be deinterlaced. Have you taken any of this into consideration?

Is this for PC-only or web display? If so, you'll have to deinterlace as well as resize for the web. Either way, you'll have to re-encode. If you think re-encoding from lossy MPEG to lossy h264 won't involve quality issues, you've been misled.

Why did you rip your DVDs into mkv containers? I'm always curious about why people do such things, since "ripping" DVD results in an MPEG2 copy, not an mkv. Why place MPEG2 in an mkv container when MPEG2 is its own container? Was this simply a container change, or did you re-encode to h264 to get the mkv? An MPEG2 in an mkv container would be the same file size as an MPEG2 in an MPEG2 container, so what was the point? Or was this really a rip-plus-reencode? I'm afraid you're not giving enough information for anyone to give solid advice.

Last edited by LemMotlow; 29th October 2014 at 03:27.
LemMotlow is offline   Reply With Quote