View Single Post
Old 12th June 2020, 13:04   #14  |  Link
Gew
Observer

Hi guys!
What's Doom9's policy about ~1½ decade old thread necromancy?

Nah, well, on a more serious note, I found this thread (Google) since I'm driving myself nuts over a small first world:ish problem that has come up.

I have this old PAL DVD that I thoughts I'd make a hard drive backup of. I usually keep it untouched (no re:enc) by a simple...

Code:
mkvmerge.exe -o dvdbackup.mkv VTS_05_1.VOB
...which is automatically concatenating all .VOB files in the sequence, putting the right aspect ratio flag (16:9 or 4:3, depending on source) and muxing all audio and subtitle tracks.

However, this movie is showing up as interlaced (TFF) but I have investigated the M2V stream thoroughly and not a single frame is in any way interlaced, it's strictly progressive.

So, I'm guessing most software players that catches this interlacing flag (and then puts on some automatic de-interlacing thing in it's filter chain) will still give me a pretty descent playback. I would probably not be able to tell the difference at all from if there was no interlace flag.

However, I'm a neurotic person and it has become like a nail in my eye. I want things to be as supposed to be. So, I have run the entire movie through Restream where I have changed the value under "Picture Coding Extension" from TFF to Progressive and also flagged "Progressive" under Sequence Extension.

Then I remux:ed the entire thing. It still plays nice (can't tell the difference) and Mediainfo is now listing it as progressive.

So, my question is, can this have any bad side effect that I have not become aware of? Something that would make me rather want to keep things as they were instead of messing around with it?

Cheers!
Gew is offline   Reply With Quote