View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2004, 05:40   #87  |  Link
tritical

@Mug_Funky
If your talking about doing vfr with mkv by decimating frames in film portions and leaving 30p alone and then outputing the needed matroska timecodes file I have been planning that since the beginning. The blending of 30p to 24p for a single framerate method of dealing with 30p I didn't initially plan to add, since I use matroska almost exculsively with the vfr method I just described, but it is added now as well. If your talking about also adjusting the timecodes file to remove all frames with metrics below a specific threshold like dedup then no, I am not currently planning to do that. I had originally planned the mkv vfr stuff to be two-pass, but a one-pass version based off Leak's earlier suggestion will probably also be added.

@AS
You are correct about how it works. Your suggestion that A' would be a cleaner frame then A in an AA' dup scenerio is also something to consider. However, doing what you said for duplicate strings would pretty much eliminate the benefit of doing it in the lowest to highest order... which was that you will still get correct decimation in cases where frames are incorrectly declared as dups when they aren't due to low metrics (this happens on very slow panning scenes among others). I guess things could just be changed to decimate the frame before the frame with the low metric (both in most similar and in longest string decimation) instead of the low metric frame itself. For the moment I'm not going to do it, but I will put it on my things to test list.

@Leak/All
I was thinking more about the one-pass mkv vfr mode (with addition of plain black frames onto the end to pad as needed and including the actual ending frame number as a comment in the timecodes file), and aside from the consecutive cycle limit needing to be 2 or 1, it would also require completely linear access from start to finish to work correctly. If these requirements aren't too much to deal with I will add it.

Hybrid handling through blending of 30p sections will also be able to be done in 1 pass with the requirement that the required number of consecutive cycles is limited to 2 or 1 as in the mkv vfr 1 pass case. The blending one pass does not have the requirement for completely linear access though and will work correctly when seeking.
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote