View Single Post
Old 15th February 2011, 21:59   #5  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvejaNegra View Post
yetanotherid: you set the options in the nvidia panel and on the player at the same time? i do it too but, maybe we are doing a double correction (the renderer on MPCHC stretchs the levels and the video card do it again).
I think if you do both you're double dipping. At least on my XP PC it does. If I change the luminance level via the video card while a video is playing there's a noticeable difference, if I also change it again via MPC it gets way too dark. I just let the video card do it because then it's right regardless of the player being used.
I can't speak for what the EVR renderer does as I'm still on XP without much dot $%$#$ net crap installed, so I don't have the EVR renderer. Maybe try a different renderer too.

I'm pretty happy with the way my monitors display video but I've never "calibrated" one in my life. Plus I still run a pair of 22" CRTs so with any luck it'll be another ten years before I've had much experience with LCDs.

It made me think the first time you mentioned it, and it's made me think again now you've mentioned it again.... Windows 7 display calibration? I wonder if that's your problem? I've never used it, being still on XP. Can you disable it or reset it and set up the monitor via it's own adjustments (if LCDs have the same adjustments as CRTs)?

Myself, I just adjusted the colour, contrast and brightness etc on my CRTs until I was comfortable reading text from a couple of feet away and white looked white (not blueish or greenish etc... in fact originally I taped a white A4 piece of paper to the front of the monitor and set out to duplicate it), then being CRTs I spent about another week fiddling until I got them both to look pretty much exactly the same. I changed the setting to 0/255 in the Nvidia Control Panel and that was it. Video looks pretty good.
If anything, I'd say the video looked a little washed out and lacked colour before I changed the NviDia setting, whereas you seem to have the opposite problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help aside from the double dipping thing and maybe thinking you should ignore the Windows Display calibration. I'd maybe reset one of the CRTs, and then without Windows interfering use the CRTs own controls to adjust the monitor with your eyes. Maybe do it with the other monitors off so they don't influence what your eyes are seeing, then when you're happy set the video card to 0/255 and try playing a video. Maybe the monitors aren't set up right "by themselves", then Windows tries to calibrate them, and in the end you've got a bit of a mess? Just a thought....
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote