View Single Post
Old 25th March 2010, 15:20   #1253  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Only request on subtitles would be some adjustment to subtitle font sizes at least. Tahoma 18 is just huge. On some conversions with soft subs I would get artifacts at the bottom of the screen with the same color as the sub so it must be a side effect of the large subs. I changed the .xml settings to 16 and especially hard subbed the subtitles come out nicely.
But that's no biggie. Once changed it's set until I update the app.
It's on my ToDo list (already for a long time, as a matter of fact)

Quote:
The only other issue can be a bit tricky is the audio processing. If I use the default aften settings and there's an error, the command window hangs. To proceed requires the manual intervention of clicking the close button, then the audio will be processed and all with be well... but if you are doing it unattended, like watching a movie, it will just hang there forever until you notice and click the mouse. If there was a way to detect the hang and revert to plan B audio processing that would eliminate popping in just to see if the audio conversion hung. One could just leave it with confidence
Main problem is to predict if Aften will hang, or why Aften sometime is hanging. Any hint is appreciated.

Quote:
Thanks for the update. One positive side effect I did notice, on my dual core sometimes when the video encoder is going to be QuEnc, after starting the processing, it would often take like 10 minutes before QuEnc would pop up. The drive is churning away doing something. On the Quad QuEnc would pop up nearly instantly.

Now QuEnc seems to pop up quickly on the dual core too. Don't have a clue why.
The reason could be that FFMpegSource is selected (going down in the A2DSource function tree: AVISource->DirectShowSource->FFMpegSource). FFMpegSource needs to index the source before starting to sequentially read it. It takes time.

AVISource and DSS instead don't do indexing, so they are faster, even if sometimes inaccurate.

For sure AviSynth experts could explain much much better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Just reporting that I did a successful convert of an avi to dvd (no menu) using hcenc 1 pass last night. It only took 45 min!
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that HCenc VBR 1-pass is amazing.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote