View Single Post
Old 28th March 2009, 08:16   #40  |  Link
tre31

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Silverlight uses its own built-in decoders.

You see, lots of users wind up with all kinds of codec packs installed, and who the heck knows what might get called for a particular codec...

I haven't talked with the Windows team about this issue in particular, but I know that they're tracking a lot of problems users have by the "codec arms race" where codecs rate themselves much higher than they technically merit, and playback experience gets fragile or outright dysfunctional. The people here know how to debug those issues, but I'm sure you've all had to do a fair amount of codec pack fixing as well.

It's a goal of Win7 to have much broader built-in support for media files, so hopefully there will be much less need for 3rd party decoders for common technologies.
While some of that is understandable, there are things that Microsoft decoders just don't do, and ffdshow does.

Still seems like a paint all with the same tar brush sort of approach when in reality there are quite good solutions out there that are not made by Microsoft, I think possibly the only Microsoft codecs/filters that I know I use regularily are the Mpeg-2 Splitter and the Video Mixing Renderer's.

Cyberlink's Powerdvd decoder's have been far ahead of Microsoft's for quite a while now ...

In the end closing things like this off too a specific few is not a good approach, unless you can certifiably say that your's are the best, and quite frankly I don't think you can - at least not yet.

(I am in no way affiliated with any development teams/codecs/companies .. this is all just my own personal opinion)
tre31 is offline   Reply With Quote