View Single Post
Old 17th January 2013, 09:58   #42  |  Link
xooyoozoo

Got around to actually testing the most recent build of libvpx, and it's quite something. Here's a chart of my results. If you're wondering about the abundance of metrics, it's because I was trying to see if anything could approximate x264's psy tweaks (nope).

There's no need to mince words: VP9 is impressive. Besides its apparent proficiency in objective metrics, it also *looks* good. I went through the 760-765 kbits clips and in terms of "pleasantness" I'd rank them as xs < xn < hevc =< vp9. The latter two are difficult to choose between because though HEVC makes the image look more 'clean', I think VP9 has some subtle psy tunings that gave more eye-pleasing bit allocations. Of course, this is only one sample, not representative, and so and so on, but we've certainly come a looonnng way since VP8's painfully underwhelming introduction.

Also, a confounding factor in the HEVC's test might be the changed intra period (normally 24 frames) and the 3 adaptive/psy QP switches I turned on. The changed intra period is to match with x264 and VP9, and I double checked the JCT-VC docs the adaptive-qp switches were based off of. The docs all showed increased obj+subj performance, but I guess you never can be sure.

Edit: Oh yea, VPX built on code from late Monday, HM from the weekend, and x264 from November.

Edit (2/2): should have done this little tidbit in the first place:

Last edited by xooyoozoo; 3rd February 2013 at 11:58.
xooyoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote