View Single Post
Old 17th July 2014, 21:08   #26932  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
So my question is, is there somewhere in this massive thread there is a good explanation of NNEDI and frame doubling and stuff like that?

With my previous setup I used Jinc 3 tap but now I am not sure what is optimal with the considerably more powerful GTX 770.

Thanks.
Opinions are varied on the usefulness of NNEDI3 in its three enable-able areas as well as what settings to use.

I have NNEDI3 enabled for Luma image doubling, and have it set to 16 neurons since I can see a difference in anti-aliasing when I have it enabled compared to disabled, but I don't see a difference between 16 neurons and any of the higher settings with the content I watch. Some may recommend you use more neurons, but I say you decide that for yourself. Play a video, pause it, switch between the different settings (clicking apply after each) and see if you notice a change in picture quality for the better. If you do - use the new setting, but if not leave it at the lower setting and use those resources elsewhere.

madshi has said that he found during his testing that chroma doubling didn't have a significant effect, and was a huge hit on performance. As a result he doesn't recommend using it.

As far as chroma upscaling by NNEDI3 goes I don't notice any significant improvement using it over Jinc in the videos I watch, but again you can switch back and forth between the two while watching your videos and see if you see a difference. Another thing I noticed about NNEDI3 when used for chroma upscaling is that it can have a big hit to rendering speed even when it shouldn't be doing much (like if your playing a 1920x1080 video on a 1920x1080 screen. I posted the below on a different forum where I am attempting to help them determine presets for a codec pack that includes madVR using NNEDI3 options to be preset in their setup:

Code:
(1):
chroma upscaling -jinc 3 taps
luma double - always if upscaling is needed - 16 neurons
image upscaling - bilinear
downscaling - catmull-rom

(2):
chroma upscaling -jinc
image upscaling - jinc

(3):
chroma upscaling -jinc
luma double - always if upscaling is needed - 32 neurons

(4):
chroma upscaling -jinc
luma double - always if upscaling is needed - 32 neurons
image upscaling - jinc

(5):
chroma upscaling -NNEDI3 - 16 neurons

(6):
chroma upscaling -NNEDI3 - 16 neurons

(7):
chroma upscaling -NNEDI3 - 32 neurons

For people who mainly watch 480p videos the fastest order would probably be (fastest listed first, slowest last) option 1, 3, 5, 2, 7, 4, then 6.

480p video render speeds
option #1: 10ms
option #2: 20ms
option #3: 16ms
option #4: 23ms
option #5: 18ms
option #6: 25ms
option #7: 21ms

720p video render speeds
option #1: 22ms
option #2: 29ms
option #3: 27ms
option #4: 31ms
option #5: 31ms
option #6: 35ms
option #7: 33ms

1080p video render speeds
option #1: 7.5ms
option #2: 7.5ms
option #3: 9ms
option #4: 8.6ms
option #5: 24ms
option #6: 24ms
option #7: 34ms
As you can see with the 1080p video tests options 5,6,& 7 which use NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling take four times longer to render then Jinc 3 tap (options 1,2,3, and 4).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 17th July 2014 at 21:10.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote