View Single Post
Old 18th January 2006, 00:13   #129  |  Link
handtruck

Quote:
In case you missed out on the hype, this is exactly what the --crf option offers: a constant rate factor, so it uses (almost) the same rate control algorithm as 2pass, but instead of a target bitrate, it uses a target quality, AND it does it in one pass. This seems really a better solution than what you are suggesting.
I'll check that out.. Thanks. I did read many of the posts regarding crf and am going to try it out today.

Quote:
As to XviD, I don't know if there is such an option, but the question is simple enough: why use XviD when x264 exists?
Hey, I'm slowly transitioning here! Also, I play a lot of my videos on standalone DVD player.

Quote:
Why read the stats file? Why not just take the size of the output and divide it by the number of frames, and then adjust the units? Anyway, as I said, this exercise seems fruitless.
Well, when I do a first pass, there is no output (I could have used Full Quality First Pass in XVID-but didn't want to waste the time), so I had to read the stats file to get what it would have been, unless of course I'm missing something, which is very possible.