View Single Post
Old 12th July 2012, 20:49   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

If you want to change the length then you need to do the AssumeSampleRate otherwise
the length will be wrong. After that, you choose whatever compatible rate you require.
If you dont resample, you could just play that on PC and be happy, so long as you dont want to
give it to YouTube or burn on DVD etc, you take your pick. If you want two different versions,
then convert to 44.1 for YouTube and decide what you want for yourself, 48 or 44.1khz would be
the better choice unless you just dont care. Which is best, well it probably does not matter too
much, as far as I know, adult humans can hear in the (roughly) 20hz to 20khz range (babies
probably a little higher, because they are smaller, and less damaged hearing over time). To
accurately represent 20khz you need double that, ie 40khz, so even CD 44.1 khz is a little
excessive to most needs, and DVD 48khz is well, un-necessary. Where high rates are good to have,
is in the studio where many transformations may be done, the higher sample rate keeps better
precision, but when editing and manipulation is complete, then 44.1 khz is probably quite sufficient.
I'm sure there are many here on D9 who would disagree, but they must have hearing that is out of
human range (I have long suspected that many of them have pointy ears).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th July 2012 at 21:17.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote