View Single Post
Old 26th April 2006, 16:28   #23  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpucoder
I gotta find my notes, apparently back in November I knew of an example. There are two issues - seamless and bitrate. Two cells of the same vob will be seamless. You can also join two vobs seamlessly in many authoring programs, including MuxMan 0.17
And being seamless should work in the majority of players. At worst it will still pause while the laser refocuses due to buffer depletion. It won't crash or stop, being seamless makes it easier to play, not harder.
Lowering the mux bitrate helps the buffer depletion problem. Notice this is the mux bitrate, not the combined bitrate, a slightly different aspect of program streams. The normal mux rate is 10.08 and the lower rate for interleaving is 8.0 It may seem as though it wouldn't matter if the combined rate is low there will be less data to handle and the buffers can fill up before the layer change. But the lower mux rate signals to the player that something is going to happen that requires cramming the buffers full (usually angle or story skipping)
Even so, a combined bitrate of 8.0 or less should also work in modern players which have buffers many times larger than the target decoder model.
So are you saying if I split a cell in a vob, added the layer break to the new cell and was Able to set the flag to seemless (which you cannot do now with pgcedit on layer breaks) without remuxing it would work better (ie buffer would be full still) on the break or not?
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote