View Single Post
Old 9th May 2009, 12:10   #1  |  Link
turbojet

BD-RB: Workarounds for 'reached retry limit. Aborting' error

If x264 crashes when you are encoding with BD-RB it's technically not a BD-RB bug.

If you are using Windows 7 RC build 7100+ the microsoft VC-1 decoder can't be used outside of WMP/WMC by default. Also the microsoft AVC/H.264 decoder is preferred over all other directshow filters when using DirectShowSource. There are 2 ways I know of to work around these issues. One way is to set VC-1 to WMV9 in ffdshow and use clsid's tool, this is a 'what is set is used' method but it doesn't let you use unsupported filters or graphs for directshowsource. If you prefer the XP/Vista way of handling directshow priorities with merits and allows all filters you can use the fix Atak_Snajpera found or if you don't feel comfortable editing the registry I wrote a one-click batch file that works for Windows 7 x86/x64.

Otherwise the problem is usually the file can't be decoded with the current decoder, this is a common problem with interlaced VC-1. An example of one of these streams can be found here

To see if the problematic stream in question is interlaced VC-1 check the stream window and look for one these:
VC-1 1080i
VC-1 720i
VC-1 576i
VC-1 480i

Workarounds for interlaced VC-1:
For best results buy, unless you already own, Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 2 and use Jay Bee's VC1tweak which works for 32 bit OS or this one with 32/64 bit support and set VC-1 Tweaker (haali) merit to preferred with graphstudio or set to use with clsid's tool in Windows 7. It's been tested working on XP x86/64, Vista x86/64, Windows 7 x86/64 with the TotalMedia Theatre 2.1.6.119 patch mirror. I'm not sure if other v2 builds work or if TotalMedia Extreme works, but v3 does not work. TotalMedia Theatre 2 and 3 can be installed at the same time. Note for XP x64 users: TMT2 isn't officially supported, the player doesn't work but VC1tweak does. After installing you will get a BSOD on boot, you have to choose last known good configuration from the XP boot menu (F8 during XP logo) after that's been done it will boot like normal.

Another way if you are on Vista you can use the wmv9 decoder from Windows 7 with this tool which may output pixelated video.

As a last resort you can use PowerDVD 7 VC1tweak which always resizes interlaced VC-1 to 720x480 and may output pixelated video. It also includes PDVD7 MPEG2 and H.264 filters which don't resize neither does VC-1 with progressive video. Thanks to Joniii's VC1tweak without it this wouldn't be possible.

I suggest to use WMV9 by default since it's well tested and faster, and to only use Arcsoft/PowerDVD decoders when needed.

The only other alternative is to use MIN_M2TS=<size larger than problematic M2TS in MB> in BD-REBUILDER.INI which will not encode any m2ts under the size you set. It's usually fine for BD25 target but may not be when aiming for DVD5/9.

Last edited by Guest; 11th June 2009 at 20:14.