View Single Post
Old 24th March 2006, 15:56   #372  |  Link
slk001

I have three issues with SubRip. The first is with the skipping of subs that are too short. If I set the SKIP SUBTITLES SHORTER THAN (ms) option to zero, Subrip still skips subtitles. Is there a way to get a list of the subtitles skipped and the timing offset where they occur so that I can inspect and correct the timing?

The second is with the character correction not picking up certain "I" versus "l" on the subtitle font. This almost always occurs on broken sentences, such as "I... I don't know." Ths sentence is corrected to "L... I don't know." This occurs so often that I usually just do a global search for "L..." and replace with "I..."

The third issue is with the character matrix for italic fonts. The character "box" is rectangular, while the font is "slanted", so the character box sometimes has parts of the previous character in the upper left corner. For example, the character combo "fo" would have part of the "f" in the "o" character box. Also, the italic "%" would have a "o/" part and a "o" part. I end up giving them both a "%" mapping, then search for the double and replace them with a single. Is it possible to get a character "box" to slant?

A feature that I would like to see is the removal of the part of the captions for the hearing impaired, such as "[ Laughing ]", or "[ Knocking on door ]" or "[Phone rings]". That would be of great help to be able to remove the brackets and all text between them. I believe that this would have to done with a search and dialog ("Remove this comment?"), since the subtitling program I use - SubStation Alpha - uses the brackets for section headers.

But still, Subrip is an excellent program that I find great utility with and that is very easy and intuitive to use. As for your questions about BITMAP capture, I use Subrip to capture subs in menu structures.
slk001 is offline   Reply With Quote