Thread: 32-bit float
View Single Post
Old 4th August 2011, 13:45   #4  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

considering that converting from 32-bit float to 24-bit int is supposed to be lossless and I want to do this conversion with a program like izotope rx 2 advanced, I can save the output at 24-bit, but then have to choose between to save the file with dithering or no dithering/truncate. since dithering doesnt seem to make much sense here, choosing truncate doesnt harm the audio quality, does it?

I can also choose to tick 'preserve non-audio data' in both cases, what is this option good for and would it make sense in either situation?

another thing regarding resampling: what exactly does filter steepness mean? I read this: "Higher steepness will reject unwanted frequencies but cause more ringing in the time-domain and a higher CPU load".
but what does 'more ringing' mean in the field of audio, is this bad for the sound quality?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 4th August 2011 at 13:49.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote