View Single Post
Old 29th March 2011, 13:25   #3  |  Link
Didée

Well, general recommendations like "you should always do [this]", or "you should never do [that]" are always dangerous. As silly as it may sound, but the only rule that's generally true is: "it depends".

Look at this example: video comparison (MediaFire, ~11 MB)

In this case it's an interlaced DVB capure. One time encoded as interlaced 25i MBAFF (x264 --crf 20 --preset fast --tff), one time encoded as bobbed 50p (x264 --crf 20 --preset fast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlayers
Deinterlacing to 59.94 fps progressive [...] greatly inflates file size.
Bitrates of this example:

25i MBAFF: ~3332 kbps

50p bobbed: ~2945 kbps

Here, bobdeinterlacing to double framrate gives a smaller filesize compared to keeping it interlaced. Oops!

And now,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlayers
ffdshow-tryouts with Yadif deinterlacing plays it extremely well.
compare the visual result of Yadif-realtime-deinterlacing to the visual result of the bob-deinterlaced example. Does Yadif still look that good? Do I need to argue? (No I don't.)

You see, in this example most of you issues are put upside-down and inside-out ...

Okay, DVB and Video-8 are not exactly the same thing. But still, it's a valid case example, and should make obvious why "general recommendations" should generally be avoided.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote