View Single Post
Old 19th July 2004, 14:53   #4  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally posted by DSP8000
Very pleased with the results from the bidule, I like it!!!
Simple and very effective layout.It gives nice surround for instrumental music.
ursamtl, can you try to filter the rears with vocal remover so the bidule can be suited for vocal music as well?
The LFE sounds real & not overdriven, every channel sounds very good & gives clean sound stage.
Keep up the good work, I'm following the other thread about stereo2surround in NUENDO as well.

DSP8000
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was really happy with the LFE as well. It seems to give just the right amount of "omph" to the bottom without sounding unnatural. I also noticed the same with the center channel. It added to or reinforced the soundstage without sticking out or sounding disjointed.

As for the vocal remover idea, I'll give it a try, but I didn't really run into a problem. Vocals are present in the rear, but on my system, they were much stronger from the front so there was no problem with the soundstage. For instance, on two of my test tracks, Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" and Robert Plant's "Heaven Knows", the lead vocals were clearly front and center, but the background vocals in the chorus were pleasantly spread right around the back and front with ambiance. I got similar results for the choral part of Beethoven's 9th, although some of the solo voices in the recording I have of 9th tend to stand out in a strange way, so they almost sound like they're coming from the back. When I compared with the stereo version, I discovered that they don't sit well in the stereo mix either.

So again, what's been said so many times applies here, the source material is the key. It's the method of recording and mixing that determines the outcome. Sounds that are hard-panned to either side of the soundstage can sometimes sound weird in an upmix. I found that running the stereo versions of some old Four Tops songs sounded amazing through V.I-just like having the singers plus the Funk Brothers playing in my living room! Still, some of those hard-panned 60s recordings give unpredictable results.

I'm reading some material during my vacation that might give some more clues. I also got some nice results last night from adding some third-order ambisonic calculations to the encoder section of V.I. The added harmonics tended to both reinforce the front center and the ambience in the rears. That's to be continued when I get back from vacation.

Regards,
Steve.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote