View Single Post
Old 10th January 2007, 12:57   #12  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Hi guys - long time no see...

Anyway, first let me thank you all for keeping ffdshow's development going - it's continually getting better...

Now, I really didn't have much use for ffdshow in the last few months, as I preferred watching my DVDs on our TV, but since I bought a projector last week I've been back to using my PC for my DVD watching needs.

As DVD decoding isn't working reliably in ffdshow, I've been using Media Player Classic's MPEG2 decoder and postprocessing that via ffdshow's "Raw video" set to "YUV modes".

Using a combination of PowerStrip, Reclock, ffdshow and MPC, I've got a great picture out of my Samsung Pocket Imager, at least for stuff that doesn't need deinterlacing. But since most anime is of course interlaced with 3:2 pulldown, I wanted to do the following:
  • Set the refreshrate for the image sent to my projector to 59.9xx Hz
  • Have MPC run in fullscreen on display 2
  • Play the DVD in MPC
  • Using ffdshow, use Kernel Bob to get the 29.9xx FPS video to 59.9xx FPS
  • Using ffdshow, resize the image to 856x480 for 16:9 DVDs or to 800x600 for 4:3 DVDs using Lanczos resizing
  • Using ffdshow, crop 28 pixels left and right in case of a 16:9 DVD to get back to 800x480
At least that's the plan.

The problem is that resizing only works if I do it before deinterlacing, but I guess I needn't tell you that resizing interlaced material is a big no-no.

If I deinterlace first and resize afterwards, ffdshow either crashes or at least produces a distorted image as if the line pitch was incorrect, plus MPC's interface becomes rather sluggish and takes seconds to react. I've experienced crashes even if I turned off deinterlacing when it was above the crop filter in the list, though...

So for the time being, I'm resizing 16:9 DVDs to 856x480 before deinterlacing, as that doesn't resize vertically, but I have to let my graphics card (ATI Radeon X1900 XT) stretch kernel-bobbed 4:3 DVDs to 800x600 which of course isn't great quality-wise. On the other hand, I've found that at least the card's 3:2 pulldown removal kicks in if I change my refresh rate to 48Hz, which is nice - but which only looks good if there aren't any 30 FPS pans/zooms/etc. in the video...

So - could you please add resizing after deinterlacing to the bug list? It's possible that it only happens with the kernel deinterlacer, but I haven't checked it that thoroughly yet.

I might take a look at the code myself if I can find some time for it, but the last time I looked at the code I was rather lost - is there some documentation somewhere for ffdshow's internals?