Continuation on ripping VOBs (question received by mail and my reply):

Quote:
Hello,

These are the steps I am using to open VOB:

1) File -> Open Hard Subbed Video Files
2) Select VTS_01_1.VOB
3) I get "Cannot detect frame rate" and Input frame rate value
4) I enter frame rate value and click OK
5) I get "File opened in MediaPlayer mode. Move all windows away from the subtitle region."
6) The Video File Viewer opens but the window is all black (no picture)

Am I doing anything wrong? I installed gplmpgdec and added MCI extensions for .vob and .ifo in the registry.
Well, I'm in the process of looking for a better MediaPlayer. I'm not sure whether or not my search will be successful.
As for playing VOBs, I only tried with my AniMusic DVD, which is not encrytped. Try ripping the VOBs first with a DVD ripper, and open the decrypted VOBs from your hard drive. Also, I have not actually checked whether the GPL MPEG2 decoder works. Can you please confirm if you're able to play VOBs using mplayer.exe or mplay32.exe? If they don't work with the GPL decoder, then neither does SubRip.

I should mention that I don't know whether decrypted VOBs really work, or if they behave like OGM files and only seek to keyframes (I was too lazy to copy the files from the DVD to my HDD). Please try ripping and then let me know. Basically, you should be able to use the edit control to change the frame number, and see changes on the screen.

If you're in a hurry, the quick and dirty solution is to use a 1-pass DVD2AVI or something similar and then run SubRip on the resulting AVI.

Last edited by ai4spam; 11th May 2005 at 20:55.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote