View Single Post
Old 5th November 2010, 15:20   #16  |  Link
Robert Martens

All right, I know you're all sick of me bumping this thread every couple of months, so I'll try to get to the point and get out of here.

SimpleSlug v1.00 is now available, with quite a few minor changes, but also a few big ones worth reviewing:

-QTGMC is now the default deinterlacer. The presets from version 0.9, that use TempGaussMC_beta2, are still present, if you prefer doing things that way, but the wide variety of presets available in QTGMC won me over.

-For downscales from interlaced source material, the script now downscales horizontally before deinterlacing. Looks just as good, runs much faster for significant downconversions.

-Thanks to the way I accomplished the horizontal resizing, you can now use a separate vertical resizer, with its own parameters, by way of 'resizev' and 'ep2' and 'ep3'. If you use this option, the existing 'resize' will only determine the horizontal resizer.

-Although my personal motto remains "windowboxing is for suckers", I have finally gotten around to adding windowboxing capabilities to SimpleSlug. Adding "window" to a 'size' preset will override all other custom box dimensions, and keep your input at its original size (accounting for both input and output PAR, so the end result will look the way it should).

-If you want custom windowbox sizes, however, you can instead use "box" in your size preset and define boxwidth and boxheight, together, individually, or in concert with the existing boxvideoDAR.

-If you like you can also use 'bgclip' to dictate a separate background clip. You'll need to make sure ahead of time that it's the same framerate, duration, and colorspace as your main input clip, otherwise you're in for some strange behavior. If it's not a progressive, square pixel clip, you can use 'bgargs' to deal with it properly: the background is generated by calling SimpleSlugUpscale from within SimpleSlugBox, and bgargs is the string of arguments used. I'd recommend sticking with square pixel, progressive clips for your backgrounds and avoiding bgargs altogether, but if you're feeling adventurous the capability is there.

-'boxmode' will let you use Overlay or Layer to stick your center clip on top of the background, and 'boxargs' lets you pass all of your options in. boxmode="overlay",boxargs=""" mode="add" """, for example. Those two filters require colorspace conversions, however, so I've updated my StackVertical/Horizontal nest to allow you to shift the center clip partially or completely offscreen, if you want, just as you can with Overlay and Layer. This change also allows your box to be larger than your output frame on one or both axes.

-In conjunction with the windowboxing capabilities introduced in v1.00, you have preset box positions using 'boxpos'. "Left", "top", "right", "bottom", or a combination of those will set the box in those places to start. This is cumulative with the boxshift parameters, so using boxpos="topleft",boxshifth=32,boxshiftv=32 will stick the box in the top left corner of your output frame, 32 pixels away from each edge, regardless of input and output sizes.

While I was at it, I both cleaned up the Basic Use section to make it more accessible, and added some probably-too-detailed comments throughout the script, to try and clear up my intentions at various points. I also compressed a new sample clip showing off the version 1.00 defaults, and prepared a couple of additional sample frames, all of which you can find with the last batch of samples, relocated from my previous post up to the newly-updated OP.

Once again, I've done a fair bit of testing on this, but I can't catch everything. If you're interested in this script, but can't get it to do something you want it to, let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Last edited by Robert Martens; 17th February 2011 at 08:32.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote