View Single Post
Old 11th April 2012, 15:25   #11596  |  Link
frumble

Channel mapping problems with LotR ext. BDs

Hello,
I have a problem with eac3to that drives me crazy. I want to decode the DTS-HD MA streams of my release of x and encode them to FLAC so that my Linux audio players can play the full sound, not just the DTS core.
I have downloaded eac3to and the ArcSoft DTS Decoder 1.1.0.0 plus the HdBrStreamExtractor GUI.
The output WAVE files (or FLACs) have all 7 channels and the sound is nice but they appear to have the wrong channel mapping: Voices are very low and often come from only one side (I have only stereo speakers) and once in a while come with strange echo. But when I import them into Audacity and play them with the editor the output is correct. This however has no effect on the Audacity export: 6.1 channel export has the same mapping problems as the original file. My players are not the problem, they can play every DTS, AC3 and TrueHD stream correctly.
I read something about "strange setup" but I can't understand if this might be the problem. I have absolutely no knowledge about audio mastering. The issue affects both English and German streams. The Audacity export window offers the option to remap the channels but I have no clue what could be the right choice. So I really hope you can help me: I uploaded a piece of 6.1 export from Audacity in Ogg Vorbis and it would be really nice if someone could tell me the right mapping. Thank you very much in advance!
http://www.2shared.com/audio/boFrWT5...-wrong-ch.html - I hope not to violate against forum rules with this.

Off this topic I want to say something: It may sound ridiculous but I miss a "tutorial". I lost hours in trying to understand what these freeware tools do and how to set them up with decoder and codecs. The learning curve is very steep but not because I am a idiot but 'cause most of your tools lack a proper documentation. I am a Linux user and I am used to find answers in reading docs.

It's really great that there are freeware tools like eac3to but I can't understand why the authors of such media helpers don't make the source code available. The last version of eac3to is from 2010? I read something about a GPU video encoder the author is writing since then and the promise to get back to work on eac3to when this encoder is final. But since 2010 no progress with eac3to. In this time the program could have been matured and bugs could have been fixed from others but they can't do it because they don't have the source code. It is his right to hold the source for himself but I truly can't understand the reason. It doesn't seams to be his plan to make commercial profit out of it. But no hard feelings, this are just my thoughts.

Last edited by frumble; 18th March 2014 at 01:36.