View Single Post
Old 10th January 2019, 10:17   #54202  |  Link
zapatista

can some of you video experten please comment on my Q below. i am going slightly troppo trying to setup mpc-hc madvr for playing 4k video files on my HTPC

setup. intel 4770k i7 (haswell) , 32 gb ram, 1060 3gb, with latest lav and madvr on win 8.1 64 bit
display: 1080 tv with 10/12 bit RGB 4.4.4 60fpsec input setting confirmed as working correctly over hdmi 1.4 input

Q: with some of the earlier advice given in this thread i can now play many of my 4k video files fairly well (will need further tweaking in madvr for quality improvement) eg many 4k AVC and 4k HEVC files at different frame rates, mbsec, and bit depth rates
- cpu load +/- 20%, GPU load 50-60 % with only 50 - 60 % of 3GB vram used usually

but some 4k video files play very poorly (lots of stutters) , and their specs all seem to be 4k AVC 10 bit rec 709 with HDR
- cpu load goes bezerk to 98%, but GPU activity drops to 10% and only 20% of gpu vram used
- i am aware 4k bluray discs should be using HEVC, but some of the 4k test files i found online seem to be AVC and include official 4k promotion files provided by samsung or sony etc..

do i have a setup error in mpc-hc madvr options that is shifting the workload to the CPU ? how can i divert this to the GPU ?

or am i using some "out of spec" test video files
(found online) that are not compliant with the video decoder instruction set of my pascal GPU ?
these nvidia spec sheets would seem to suggest that for 4k AVC video files the limit might be 8 bit ?
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...support-matrix
- the confusing part is that the next newer nvidia series (2070 etc) according to those same spec sheets seem to have similar limitation with 4k 10 bit AVC files, and i would have expected newer hardware to gradually increase features

and if my logic so far is correct, does the pascal GPU simply then defaults to letting the CPU try and deal with the video file and this overloads its processing ? (explaining the stuttering video on screen, but madvr is not reporting any dropped frames ?), and are newer intel cpu's able to cope with hardware decoding/playing this file format ?

Last edited by zapatista; 10th January 2019 at 10:20.
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote