View Single Post
Old 5th July 2014, 17:48   #1046  |  Link
davexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
It means whether or not you can hear a difference between the original and converted file.

If you cannot hear a difference, it is transparent.

More here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...compression%29
Some people can't hear the difference between 128 and 320 kbps mp3. How is the "ear of the beholder"
taken into account? I know that when I converted some of my video to mpeg-2 DVD,
the audio (different types) was converted to ac3-2-channel. I found 256 kbps ac3 was at the point where this
kind of conversion sounded "transparent" - in contrast 224 kbps ac3 sounded a little "pinched".
But this is not music. It's a typical video, some voices, some environmental sounds, etc,etc.

I think what I'm trying to say is that when we listen to music we listen with a much more critical ear.
Especially when we convert them ourselves. Through my local library, they have a thing where you can download
5 free music tracks a week. I've downloaded some and so far I've seen 192 and 256 kbps mp3.
Not having a better source to immediately compare to, and the fact that they came from the library and were free,
gives me a psychological "freedom" to enjoy them as-is with out worrying about the sound quality.
davexnet is offline   Reply With Quote