View Single Post
Old 5th July 2014, 07:14   #1044  |  Link
davexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Yes, it does ship with its own LAME encoder binary. It's a fully self-container application.

Exactly. But you can also see the "third-party software" section in the About screen for list of tools included...

So if you were actually using two different LAME versions, it's clear why results don't match.

It is! See the documentation:
http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/doc/FAQ.html#3d6684e9

Is there any serious listening test that substantiates this theory?
If you peruse the www.hydrogenaud.io forums, there's plenty of discussion, but no consensus. Lots of talk about whether the result
is "transparent" (What ever that means). I think some of it depends on the material; This afternoon I took 5 or 6 uncompressed WAV files of
different kinds of music and encoded some mp3's at the command line using 3.98.4 and 3.99.5 using v1, v2 & v5 all with the -h switch.

To me neither of them sounds like the WAV file. The uncompressed music just has more "presence" that the mp3's aren't quite able
to reach. I can hear in some of the samples that v1 sounds better than v2. The point is, for playing in the car,
even a playlist on your favorite media player over the computer speakers, the default settings are mostly good enough.
HD audio sounds better than CD @ 44.1 khZ 16 bits, but does that mean you can never enjoy your CD's again,
because in the back of your mind you know there's something better. I hope not!

Some music sounds better on vinyl. The one that I notice the most is Carole Kings Tapestry. I even have an audio cassette
that was recorded on a hifi from vinyl that retains the warmth of the vinyl, and to my ears, sounds better than
the CD, even the remastered version from a few years ago.

I like your program, I'll use it as is, no need to substitute a different Lame. It's been some years since I used it,
so long I actually forgot about it. I maintain a folder for these "portable" apps, and right next to this one,
I was surprised to see Lame XP .2008 12-24 version 3.07. so it's been a while since I looked at it.

Thanks again.
davexnet is offline   Reply With Quote