View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:35   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Loudness Correction for Broadcast

I gotta encode files at -24LUFS.
So far, I didn't really pay attention to loudness in Avisynth or ffmpeg 'cause I handled that separately using Sony DP600, however, the amount of files that need to be encoded increased, so the DP600 can't keep the peace and apply loudness correction to each file we encode, especially 'cause it's slow as hell (pretty much 1:1).
I tried to do something like:

ResampleAudio(48000)
Normalize(0.12)
ConvertAudioTo24bit()

I ended up with an extremely low audio.
In other words, ResampleAudio and Convert are fine, but Normalize basically limits audio using the peak, which ends up in outputting undesired results, 'cause with Normalize(0.12), the highest peak is -24LUFS and all the other parts of the audio track are lowered accordingly, which led to extremely low audio and this is not what I wanted. The purpose of having -24LUFS is not to limit the peak (true peak), but to have an almost constant loudness across the time, with occasional high peaks, but with a medium of -24LUFS. For instance, if there are many explosions and is an action movie, the medium of the loudness may be -20 or -18 LUFS which is fine due to the high amount of peaks.

Since Normalize didn't achieve the results I hoped, I tried:

Avisynth:
ResampleAudio(48000)
ConvertAudioTo24bit()

FFMpeg:
-af loudnorm=I=-24:LRA=1

The output is actually better than using Normalize, but still, it's not exactly what I wanted.
Is there a way to achieve it in Avisynth?
Is there a filter to achieve a good loudness correction like the one done by professional broadcast encoder like Sony DP600?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by FranceBB; 23rd August 2018 at 09:37.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote