View Single Post
Old 25th June 2006, 16:08   #1  |  Link
manolito

Using the Imago MPEG muxer with DVD2SVCD

Since I started to create DVDs at fairly high bitrates with D2S, there is the occasional encode that will cause stuttering on my standalone. It happens with QuEnc and CCE, and I am quite sure that MPlex is to blame. I do not know if newer versions of MPlex render better results, but it is not possible to use different MPlex versions with D2S, because the version that comes with D2S has been modified by the author.

Using the free version of MuxMan always takes care of the stuttering, but this is semi-automatic at best. Writing a plugin for D2S which would translate the command line parameters and the chapter informationfrom D2S to the MuxMan XML configuration file is way over my head, so I gave up on this.

But there is another MPEG2 muxer out there which also takes care of the stuttering problems for me. It is called the Imago MPEG muxer, and is has a command line interface. So it was not too hard to write a batch file which enables D2S to use Imago instead of MPlex. You can download the whole package here:
http://scifi.pages.at/manolito/Imago/D2SImago.zip

Imago has a small bug with the command line interface. For the audio streams it insists on short file names. This is the reason why I had to do all this clumsy renaming. I tested the plugin with one and two audio tracks, with "Keep source audio" checked, and also with Nick's AC3 plugin, and so far everything seemed to work as exspected.

Bug reports are welcome...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote