View Single Post
Old 17th May 2011, 20:29   #3188  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
The Pioneers have a similar "virtual" back channel option than what I mentioned about the Windows mixer, and I would use it if I only ran 5.1 channels. I see Windows's mixer getting a bad rap almost everywhere, but really, I haven't seen much evidence of it messing up anything substantial. Resampling (changing sample rate) is not just padding though, but again, haven't seen evidence that Windows's resampling is bad at all. I don't think it's that hard to do good resampling these days anyway, and even then, you can resample with ReClock to whatever Windows is set at, and it won't do again even if not using WASAPI exclusive.

My main reason not to use it is the channel switching, but that's more of a problem when you're running 7.1 channels. If I was using just 5.1 I'd probably be happy with DirectSound.
I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Windows Audio. Probably because I suffered through TMT3's evolution of decoding. And have seen numerous problems with PDVD's channel mapping over the years, as well. Is that a Windows Audio problem? Not entirely, but, it certainly didn't help matters. For me I want it simple...decode audio, send decoded audio *AS IS* to the receiver. I trust my Pio. I don't trust Windows. That's why I've preferred bitstreaming all these past few years. However, I'm ok with decoding if I can get the decoded PCM to the receiver untouched. For that I need exclusive mode. ReClock is working well for that right now and MC16 is something I need to test more. In any case, I'm good.