View Single Post
Old 28th October 2012, 03:04   #15112  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
I can't believe it!!! Thank you!
Edited: Er... How does it work?
In MPC-HC, there is a "Save Image" command (default: Alt + I) and a "Save Image (Auto)" command (default: F5)

You should save at least one image with the Alt + I command to set the destination folder and image type. (it defaults to a low quality JPG, I set it to PNG) and after that, hitting F5 should save to that directory with the type of image you selected.

Note: this saves an unscaled screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
As far as I know you don't need more than 10000:1. At any moment the human eye can't perceive more. The fact that the eye can adapt to low light conditions is irrelevant because it takes like a half hour.
The human eye has a limited range of contrast it can see simultaneously - about 100:1, but that shifts up and down in brightness constantly over a dynamic range of about 1,000,000:1. (similar to how exposure works on a camera if you are familiar with that)

So if you are showing a bright image on a display, black level almost doesn't matter, because it is below the threshold of what your eye can see simultaneously. (your eye tends to "expose" based on the brightest object)

If you are watching a dark film in a dark room, then a display with 10,000:1 contrast (5,000:1 once calibrated) is nowhere near enough to put black level below the threshold of what your eye can detect.

You need in excess of 100,000:1 contrast at calibrated levels (100cd/mē white) before the screen stops "glowing" when displaying black. The eye is very good at detecting the contrast between a dark screen, and the total darkness of the room.
Samsung announced that their OLED has 150,000:1 at 600cd/mē peak white, which puts it at only 25,000:1 once calibrated (assuming their numbers are accurate) because OLED is like Plasma where lowering peak brightness has no impact on black level unlike LCD. (with LCD, lowering the backlight lowers both peak brightness and black level)

With projectors, the reference level is only 48cd/mē which means they actually require even higher contrast ratios for the same black level perception. (I actually find 48 a lot more comfortable on a flat panel in a dark room as well)

This is why it's disappointing that even though JVC have projectors with a 130,000:1 native contrast ratio, they still refuse to implement a dynamic iris. I have not seen the very latest X95 projector, but their previous 90,000:1 CR projectors were still not enough to stop black "glowing" in a dark room. If they implemented a dynamic iris in addition to having such a high native contrast ratio, I bet it would be able to push black level below the limit of human perception in all but the darkest scenes.

Hopefully this will change once laser/LED sources are used in HT projectors, as you can adjust the brightness far better than a dynamic iris allows. (though I feel that Sony already have a very good iris implementation that is transparent in most cases now)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote