View Single Post
Old 12th October 2007, 09:39   #724  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisodev View Post
(1) Actually it's opposite the aften.exe is bigger then libaften.dll. I'm talking about aften-0.0.8-icl10 release (this is recommended build).

E.g.
aften_x86\aften.exe - 281 KB
libaftendll_x86\libaften.dll - 233 KB

You only need libaften.dll from libaftendll_* directory. The other files are needed when you link your program dynamically with libaften.dll. The aften.exe is there to test libaften.dll (this exe is linked dynamically with libaften.dll and I use it also for PGO optimizations when building with Intel C++ Compiler ).

(2) I know it's confusing but I had earlier in this thread explained why I do it this way. The aften_x86_SSE, aften_x86_SSE2 and aften_x86_SSE3 builds (and respectively the libaften.dll builds) have been built with special compiler switches that enable some optimization for newer CPUs and will not run on CPUs without specific instruction support (e.g. aften_x86_SSE3 build will not run on machine without SSE3 support). This builds are bit faster (not on all machines but on my they are) then aften_x86 builds. This also applies to *_AMD64 builds.

So you should use aften_x86 and libaftendll_x86 builds (or respectively aften_AMD64 and libaftendll_AMD64). This are universal binaries for Win32 (Win64) machines. They have built in MMX, SSE, SSE2 and SSE3 optimizations but are using them only when are supported by CPU.
Thank you!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote