View Single Post
Old 4th June 2005, 16:23   #120  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@mpucoder: Thanks for your reply. No, I'm talking about the "delay" lines in .idx files as mentioned by NN above (taken from VobSub, not from a DVD). They specify a time offset for subsequent subtitles. The problem is that the behaviour for multiple delays is not defined anywhere. So, if there is only one delay per subtitle stream, it will work, but if there are multiple delays, I may have gotten the wrong way of dealing with them. Maybe Gabest never thought of multiple delays, but there's nothing preventing anyone from using them, and we should deal with them accordingly. If this is the case (Gabest never intended them to be used multiple times), then the behaviour should probably be NOT compounding delays, so my current approach is wrong. Some simple testing as below (which I am unable to perform) or looking at the vsFilter source should solve the "mystery".

@NN: Thanks for testing. Can you please try what I suggested: edit a VobSub .idx file manually (in NotePad), put 2 separate delays of 3 seconds each a few subtitles apart, then watch the movie and tell me if the total delay in the subtitles after the second delay line is only 3 seconds (so delays are not added to each other) or 6 seconds (delays are added/compounded)? Thanks.

Last edited by ai4spam; 5th June 2005 at 01:12.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote