View Single Post
Old 11th July 2011, 20:22   #12458  |  Link
sonate

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the SACD itself. SACDs are typically mastered much better than normal CDs because they're marketed to audiophiles. This means no Loudness war-style dynamic range reduction, for example.
Not wanting this to develop further life of its own, I will make this my last comment on the topic.

The reason I said Mercury Living Presence is because they are have always used minimalist processing and have maintained that standard regardless of medium.

Taking audiophile pressings on LP and 16ips tape masters from previous recordings, using reference playback equipment, you would first have to agree that these have a level of clarity and imaging well beyond the capability of cd format.Dynamics are not too far off either.

Taking either of these sources and creating digital versions in both CD and DVD audio straight 2 channel stereo with no mixing or signal processing either analog or digital using the same inputs on the same sound card, the DVD audio preserves far more of the originals sound stage and imaging capabilities as well as the openness of the sound. Now if you are telling me that if I re sample the DVD to CD specs it will sound identical, that has not been the case.

Last edited by sonate; 11th July 2011 at 23:04.
sonate is offline   Reply With Quote