View Single Post
Old 30th April 2006, 18:58   #405  |  Link
Atomzk

I've been testing SubRip a bit (version 1.50b3). Overall it's doing a great job. Takes a bit of time to "train" it, but it does seem to save a lot of typing.

However, the main problem I'm having is that I just can't get the settings right. Either the "n" and "m" start to break (too thin), or the characters are surrounded by white spots. Using "outline" "fatten" and the tolerance sliders can't fix this. I've settled for having white spots and noise, however it does seem to ruin the OCR after some time because I keep adding spots to the matrix that Subrip has to ignore.

I get the impression the reason for this is that SubRip is insensitive to differences in colour saturation and just looks at the brightness. Subs are often white with a black border, so without any colour. This opposed to the background where bright areas often have some colour in them. At the moment Subrip may see a bright green spot (as in the attachment) as a character. When I would be able to tell subrip to have a low tolerance towards areas with colour in them, I'm sure seperation of the fonts from the background could be further improved.

Just a suggestion of course..
Attached Images

Atomzk is offline   Reply With Quote