View Single Post
Old 28th January 2020, 12:30   #58451  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc18 View Post
I have my JVC RS600 calibrated for both BT.709 and BT.2020. In the past, I've accomplished this by using 3DLUTs for both color spaces, and madvr will automatically select the correct 3DLUT based on the video metadata. However, I upgraded to a Stewart ST130 G4 screen and the manual calibration result was so good, there's no real need for a 3DLUT. If I select "Disable calibration controls for this display", will that allow me to switch between BT.2020 and BT.709 content by just selecting the appropriate mode on my PJ? I thought that mode was equivalent to BT.709, Gamma Power 2.2.
It depends if you're using the same calibration for both, and which device you're using.

Unfortunately the rs600 on its own is unable to detect SDR BT2020 vs rec-709 and switch automatically between a rec-709 and a BT2020 calibration. It's only able to detect HDR10 and apply its awful gamma D curve, which you definitely don't want.

So you have three ways to use madVR to automatically display the content correctly:

1) You're using an SDR BT2020 calibration for all content. This means that unless you need your iris fully open even for SDR content, you are most likely sacrificing black floor / contrast in SDR rec-709 to privilege brightness in HDR, running all with the iris fully open and using the P3 filter to get a wide gamut. In that case, assuming your two 3D LUTs use this same BT2020 baseline, madVR can switch between each LUT automatically. If you don't want to use the LUT anymore, simply specify "this display is already calibrated to"in the calibration tab, and specify SDR BT2020 and whichever gamma you've used in your calibration (usually 2.4, but it can be anything, as long as your target for the 3D LUT is 2.2 if you're using one for HDR tonemapping, though in that case it's recommended to target P3 rather than BT2020 to avoid posterization). madVR will automatically convert rec-709 content so that it displays correctly with your BT2020 calibration. There is no need for profiles.

2) You're using an SDR Rec709 calibration for all content. This means that you are most likey sacrificing brightness and gamut cover in HDR in order to maximise black floor / native contrast, not using the filter (unless you can't reach 709 wihtout it) and closing the iris further to reach 50/60nits in sdr rec-709 (or brighter if you don't have a dedicated room). If you don't need the 3D LUTs anymore, you simply specify "this display is already calibrated to" and you specify rec-709 and whichever gamma the display is actually calibrated. MadVR will automatically tonemap BT2020 content to fit into your rec-709 calibration. There is no need for profiles.

3) You don't want to compromise either content type, so you have two calibrations on the JVC (rec-709, no filter, iris closed to get best black floor / native contrast and around 50-60nits peak) and SDR BT2020 (2020, P3 filter, iris open to get the highest peak brightness, hence headroom for HDR highlights, at the cost of a higher black floor / reduced native contrast). You will need profiles to tell madVR which calibration you're using for each content type. If you're not using 3D LUTs, you can specify "this display is already calibrated" to either rec-709 or BT2020 using a different profile for each content. In that case, you can either switch manually between the two calibrations on the JVC, or if you have an nVidia GPU and a Vertex/Maestro/Diva you can select the "report BT2020" box in the calibration tab for your BT2020 profile, and make sure it's unchecked in your rec-709 profile. The HD fury device will detect if the content is rec-709 or BT2020 according to the flag, and provided you have installed an rs-232 cable and programmed the device accordingly, it will select the correct calibration automatically, according to content. MadVR will select the correct profile according to content, and will know which calibration you're using thanks to each profile. See here for more info: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55408090

There are other ways to achieve this using batch files instead of an HD Fury device but they are even more complicated and don't work reliably in my experience.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 28th January 2020 at 12:34.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote