View Single Post
Old 11th June 2009, 14:25   #58  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggle View Post
@Lord_Mulder
I was wondering whether you were planning on continuing support for this utility, or if this is only a proof-of-concept?
The reason I ask this is because to my knowledge, this tool is at this moment about the only option that has a high enough usability for moderately experienced users to allow x64 encodes.
The options we have are, as I understand it:
your pipebuf tool, avisynth64+MeGUI64 (not usable), avs2yuv
I would personally opt for the integration of piping (which one would you recommend; pipebuf or avs2yuv?) into MeGUI that would then also be able to run in x64 mode, but I guess your tool is as good as it gets till that moment arrives...
You got it wrong. The "avs2yuv" tool reads an Avisynth script and writes the raw video data to STDOUT. This way the x264 process can read the data from STDIN. And this can happen from 32-Bit Avisynth/avs2yuv to 64-Bit x264, because they're running as two separate processes (just communicating through a pipe). Mixing 32-Bit and 64-Bit code within the same process is not possible! That's why we have to use the pipe method. The sole purpose of my "pipebuf" tool is to establish the pipe between avs2yuv and x264. The same could be done with cmd.exe, but cmd.exe doesn't allow to specify the pipe buffer size.

BTW: Yes, I will continue to give support for that tool. But I'm definitely not going to implement any new features. I don't want to maintain yet another x264 GUI...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th June 2009 at 14:39.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote