View Single Post
Old 16th February 2019, 20:59   #54783  |  Link
IceB

MadVR FHD 8bit SDR vs UHD 10bit HDR to SDR comparison

I have red several threads on the HDR to SDR / UHD 10 bit to FHD comparison threads and finally decided to give it a go as there is more and more UHD 10bit HDR content.
After some learning curv with the latest build of madVR and testing the "Mehanik HDR10 test patterns", I have tuned my settings and made a comparison of the several frames of different versions ( FHD / UHD 10bit HDR ) of the same great action movie " Mission: Impossible - Fallout " .
I have also tested another movies and my conclusion is unequivocal - I definitely like the compressed UHD 10bit HDR to SDR by madVR in comparison to the FHD 8bit version on my rig. I watch movies in the dedicated HT room, small but all black walls and ceiling on 96" CARADA screen with good old JVC DLA-X30 that provides a very good black levels. The lamp has made around 2500 hours run, but still good with 100nits target on madVR . The pj was calibrated a while ago with my old MONACO XR DTP94 colorimeter for REC. 709 2.2 curve and since then I am using the i1pro spectro but waiting till I order a new lamp to get it re calibrated.

Since I have been looking for any detailed A/B images on the web and could not fine anything detailed and interesting (sorry if I missed something), I made for you a single frame comparison and uploaded it on my web site with the before/after view including the madVR settings data running on GTX 1070ti. Some frames have more obvious differences the others have less, yet as mentioned the UHD content compressed by the madVR has more clarity as a result with more details in near whites ( low highlight recovery is applied ), deeper and punchier colors with much more detailes and contrast darks that adds more depth to the picture. The textures are a bit sharper as well.

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

here

hover with the mouse over the screenshots

Last edited by IceB; 16th February 2019 at 21:00. Reason: additional info
IceB is offline   Reply With Quote