View Single Post
Old 10th February 2003, 17:30   #19  |  Link
Loul

Quote:
Valnar :
It has been mentioned by other users that unless you watch a DivX movie in full screen, it won't set the correct DAR like a DVD player. I watch most of my DivX movies in a window anyway, but I remeasured the circles full screen and didn't see much of a difference in AR, if any.
After saving your divx as image sequence I made an avi of the 14th frame (numbered 13 by virtualdub) of the NTSC-4x3-No-ITU.avi and NTSC-4x3-With-ITU.avi (the circle with the squares).

After calibrating the display aspect ratio of my computer screen (quite easy to do as pixels are square) I did some window and fullscreen measurements playing those two "test frames turned into AVIs" with my usual media player (Bsplayer).

Results are identical in window and full screen mode : circles look like circles with the "no itu" file and look vertically squished with the "with itu" one...

Quote:
movmasty :
Now, are you sure that the software dvd players dont crops those 8+8 pels before sending to the computer?
After some testing I can tell that PowerDVD don't crop any pixel in width.

Quote:
Chibi Jasmin
Well, if you have the ITU-Box checked, GKnot provides you with spec-compliant resizing...this works, if the source material (DVD) has been done according to that specs...you learn from experience, that this is not always the case...
Well I certainly believe that not all Dvds are mastered exactly according to the specs (they're not that crystal clear, when you master a Dvd you can have different choices because of different "philosophies" of the way it should be seen on a TV through a dvd standalone player, besides in the end differences ain't that big so you Mr Everybody would never complain).

I would be curious to know the proportion of commerical released Dvds made according/not according to the specs (nobody knows any database on the subject ?).
In other words : What is the norm ? Dvds following the specs (especially the ITU DAR for Dvds) or Dvds using the more usual DAR (16/9, 4/3) ?

It still remains that that Avia disc (Here's a link to the Avia Faq :
http://www.ovationsw.com/avia_faq.html) test results are interesting.
If one disk must follow the standards, it must be the calibration disc !
But well they might also have done it wrong (how ironic would it be), if only we could have their opinion on the subject...

Quote:
Valnar :
There is another test disc (Video Essentials?); someone else can try it as a second opinion.
That would be great, this is so puzzling...

And finally a couple of question for Valnar regarding the encoding of the Avia test disc :

What was the original resolution (I guess 720 * 480) ?
Did you crop anything before encoding (no extra pixels on the sides that you would have removed) ?

Last edited by Loul; 11th February 2003 at 23:14.