View Single Post
Old 26th May 2004, 14:08   #475  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: No good results

Quote:
Originally posted by ursamtl
Sounds cool. Getting the separation into it makes the sound come alive and gives the sense of realistic space.
The sense of realistic space ???????????

I have some old quad conversions here, where the level of separation is unbeatable. A guitar from FL, a singer from FR, drums from RL and another guitar from RR. What I miss is the band

Realistic space can only be achieved by Ambisonics and certainly not by separation. There is nothing realistic about separation at all, actually it will only be "realistic" when we have 5.1 ears !

IMHO separation is artificial !
Just simply because our ears are not build that way. We will hear from all directions at once, thus a left channel also influences what we hear with our right ear ! In other words, even if you can completely separate 5 sounds, there is still the fact that we will not hear it completely separated. So why this search for complete separation ?
Are we that much indoctrinated by Dolby ??

You mentioned the excellent results on DVD's. But...... are you comparing methods like Ambisonics with a music DVD or with a DVDA ?
Or were you talking about movie DVD's ?
I am just wondering because you will never get that separation from stereo to 5.1, whatever method ! You can come close, but not with the bidule you presented us ! I have tested it to it's limit this morning and it's not what I hoped it would be !
But I have to confess that I used a very difficult piece of music.
When I use DPL II, this happens : a guitar starts in the front right channel. The guitarplayer starts to sing. His voice is in the Center channel and the guitar remains in the right channel. The separation between C and R is perfect here with DPL.
Playing it in regular stereo you get the guitar from the right channel and the singer from both. And a very small bit of the guitar from the left, but you really have to play it vey loud to hear that.
With all methods I used on this piece of music, not one gave the same results. They just don't do a good job on this separation !
The only thing that came close was to use Gerzon LCR, and process the L=R from there and leave the Center as is.
All others made a mess of it ! Including yours.

For Ambisonics this piece is also difficult, but although no perfect separation, you still can sense where the singer comes from (Center) and where the guitar comes from (C+R). It's sounds more natural in Ambi because it's more fitted to our 2 ears. It makes a complete soundfield, which actually resembles what we hear with our 2 ears.

Also I would like to point out the zillion of music DVD's where the rears are nothing more than some weak reverb from the fronts. I even have this on a few DMP demo SACD's !
We can do better :-)

So there's still work to do !

kind regards,

EoH