View Single Post
Old 12th December 2019, 17:22   #58140  |  Link
Klaus1189

On some TVs the picture settings can be adjusted according to refresh rates, at least on all my Samsung TVs and there is also in PC the difference that picture looks natural at 50 (0 ... 100) without any additional sharpening, but on 60 Hz in PC mode it has to be adjusted to 0 that no additional sharpening is done.
And why bother with double refresh rates for no benefit at all, despite that it might not work at all on most TVs because it doesn‘t allow weird refresh rates, at least weird for the TV.
I have a socalled 120 Hz panel and everybody tells me that it is much better, but I do not see any benefit at all compared to a good 60 Hz panel. I also don’t know why they call it that way, because these panels display can display 50 Hz also.

I can live with that that I am a „purist“, but if you have a 50fps video and watch it at 60Hz how can this be smooth especially at panning shots. This is another reason for me to use matching refresh rates.

But hey, everybody how he/she likes.

I mean using higher refresh rates which can not be a multiple for all major refresh rates like 23/24/50/59/60.
I dropped 25/29/30 because you loose the intention of interlacing if you use one of these three.

To come back to 144 Hz for example, how can that display all different framerates right without having changed the smear, I don‘t know if this is the right word, but if you do anything to watch it on another multiple than the native refreshrate matching for that framerate, you will change the picture to be clearer or more smeared. I mean for describing the motion speed, the filmmaker can choose the right settings in the cam. But using matching refresh rates doesn’t affect that sort of thing.

Every better hardware player can do it, but I like a software player best, for best future proof.

I bet that every Blu-ray player above 50 Euro does support 24Hz output when the movie starts. My good old ps3 does that also. I am not using it anymore but it did it already 10 years ago.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote