View Single Post
Old 11th April 2019, 14:10   #55680  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
@If6was9

using up to 12 bit input support is a default feature on nearly all TV for over 6 years now.

in a perfect world even if your panel is 6 bit sending 10 bit wouldn't be worse at all. while i agree that blindly using 10 bit is not best for picture quality simply because far more TV produce bending with 10 bit input then not it has to work.

a GPU driver that is changing the colors of the image just by switching between 8 bit and 10 bit renderer is clearly not working properly.

how should someone write a color critical application with that behaviour?

intel and nvidia doesn't do this so they either both workaround an windows bug or the issue is at AMD.
It's not necessarily the drivers' fault, but nVidia does that with the JVCs.

When sending 8bits, you get the native colorspace in SDR rec-709, or SDR WCG (DCI-P3 or BT2020).

When sending 12bits, the colorspace is NOT the native colorspace (that tracks saturation very well) but a wonky colorspace that needs a lot more corrections. You only get the native colorspace if you select "report BT2020" in MadVR's calibration tab. This, along with the colorspace bug (in 12bits, the JVCs force YCC422 internally when the source sends RGB 12bits or YCC 444 12bits).

The second issue is the JVCs fault because it also happens with a standalone player, however I'm not sure if the first one is a driver issue or a display issue.

In any case, the colors are NOT the same with nVidia on the JVCs using 8bits or 12bits, which clearly is a problem and makes calibration more challenging as you have to activate BT2020 for SDR WCG and disable it for SDR rec-709 to get the optimal gamut.

For this reason, I use RGB 8bits: no colourspace issues and easier calibration.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote