View Single Post
Old 10th October 2011, 23:38   #10050  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
Just found the calibration option in madVR. I own a JVC RS25 projector which is ISF calibrated by a professional. What should I choose in madVR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
If it's already calibrated "professionally" then choose "this display is already calibrated", of course.
It's careful to note here that you can't confuse “calibrated” with “profiled”, or confuse the different types of calibration with eachother. There are basically multiple possibilities of what has happened here:

1. The projector is hard calibrated in such a way that the gamma, gamut and white point are adjusted correctly. In this case, just choose “this monitor is already calibrated”.

2. The projector is hard calibrated in such a way that the gamma and gamut are adjusted, but the white point is not. In this case, determine your projector's white point and calculate a chromatic adaptation matrix, then load that (as .3dlut).

3. The projector is hard calibrated in such a way that the gamma is adjusted, but the gamut is not - in this case, the gamut will be profiled (eg. as ICC profile), and gamut correction has to be calculated manually (eg. with a 3dlut or the built in yCMS option)

4. The projector is not hard calibrated at all, but contains a soft calibrated gamma (CLUTs) along with an ICC profile (the two are usually combined into the same file). In this case, you will need to fix both gamut *and* gamma using a 3dlut.

I don't know which of these is the case for you as they're all valid solutions in practice, and all just as common. Personally, I use option 4 because my projector/monitor does not support hard calibration (well, it does - but it only includes a few hard calibrated options - in particular sRGB, for which it is option 2).

Edit: It sounds like the ISF calibration just fixes the white point to be at precisely 6500K (which is also incorrect, incidentally, but I trust that the “professional” doing your calibration knows this) - I don't know how well and to what standard your gamma is calibrated and I don't know anything at all about your gamut. Do you know if your calibration has performed this additional task and how well? Is there something like a calibration report that he gave you?

I'll have to do some research on your projector.

Edit 2: It sounds like you have at least a “THX Mode” which is supposed to be (in theory) calibrated to 2.2 PPC, D65 and BT.709. Can you confirm how many color “modes” you have, and which one you are using?

Last edited by nand chan; 10th October 2011 at 23:58.
nand chan is offline   Reply With Quote