View Single Post
Old 1st November 2014, 21:47   #10  |  Link
Hotte

Hi feisty2,

thank you. This time your code worked immediately. Indeed it does fine sharpening pretty much the way my code does, so I had a very close comparative look.

Sharpening results are almost exactly the same if I apply s=40 and w=1 to my code (my code finesharpens a tiny, tiny bit more). There is no visible difference in artefacts of whatever kind, even if you zoom in 300%. Your code also benefits a lot if I add dehalo_alpha (like in my code) to get rid of existing edge halos. Your code runs some 30% slower both solo or with setmtmode(4,4).

What do I learn ? Two methods - same result. It seems that we´ve reached the feasible limits in detail sharpening.

Being an obvious expert in handling the complex dither-tool, I would love if you could answer the following questions:

1. How can I influence the strength of sharpening with your code ?
2. There is a very, very tiny flair of color shifting e.g. with clouds to pink (looks a bit like chromatic abberation) which is typical for unsharp mask processes - in both approaches. Do you know how to limit this ?
2. I've got some temporal color-banding in blue skies. Is there something in dither I could do against ?
3. Is there something in dither to calm the grainy flickering (I do not mean sensor noise) that my arise with strong detail sharpening ?

Thanks!
Hotte is offline   Reply With Quote