View Single Post
Old 15th June 2004, 20:56   #13  |  Link
bond

hm i am not so sure if its a that good idea to make it too easy to change the user data of the bitstream
i mean it should represent the infos the encoder thinks should be set!
i dont think it should be compared to the fourcc, which the people change as they wish... the user data should really be a very accurate way to show the correct info about the bitstream!

for example i find it very usefull if i analyse a buggy mp4 file and see that the stream was originally packed by the encoder, which points to possible solutions
now if people start to mess around with this (who knows what people are going to do...) its not that good imo

maybe the editing should really be limited to very specific tasks, like the ones syskin mentioned and should not include a "you can change it all as you want" option

also about the "packed bitstream flag removing" option (as simply too many muxers exist which dont unpack the stream when muxing to mp4, its really important to know that the stream was packed originally!!) i think it would be a really better solution if the xvid decoder could ignore the bitstream description, than allowing the people to change the flag in avi, which means its in no way ensured that a correct mp4 muxer is used afterwards!
also maybe giving the user the false security that if this is changed, packed bitstream might cause less problems in mp4 or so, which is not the case of course

its good to have an easy way to identify originally packed bitstreams in mp4, as its really an important issue!
therefore i dont think people should be able to manually remove flags set by the encoder indicating that the stream was packed originally!

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 15th June 2004 at 21:12.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote