View Single Post
Old 1st September 2017, 13:19   #22197  |  Link
mastan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
What is the advantage of D3D11 DXVA? Faster rendering for rigs that support it? Does it improve image quality?
From madVR 0.92 changes list https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...91#post1815291

Quote:
2) native D3D11 DXVA hardware decoding:

This is a new feature nevcairiel (thanks!) and I have been working on. Basically it "replaces" the old native D3D9 DXVA hardware decoding with a new D3D11 solution. (Well, D3D9 DXVA is still available.)

- image quality is now always identical to software decoding (unlike D3D9 DXVA)
- now AMD 10bit HEVC hardware decoding works, too
- might be ever so slightly faster (with potential for future improvements)
- self-made decoder<->renderer interface should be more stable
- probably requires Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
- I've not implemented DXVA scaling yet
- I've not implemented DXVA deinterlacing yet

Software decoding still has a small advantage, though: The madVR features "forced film mode" and "zoom control" currently only work with software decoding (or copyback).
Quote:

5) support for AMD's private HDR switching API

AMD's private HDR switching API seems to work well, but it's more limited compared to Nvidia's API. AMD's API only works if there's active fullscreen D3D11 video playback (or gaming), which also has to be 10bit! Otherwise, the AMD API will do nothing. Consequently, madVR will switch to passthrough only in the moment when you go fullscreen, and only if you configured madVR to use 10bit D3D11.

Nvidia's API also works in windowed mode, and also with 8bit D3D11, even with D3D9.
mastan is offline   Reply With Quote