View Single Post
Old 1st May 2004, 16:11   #12  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Quote:
One analysis I didn't try that I want to is seeing what difference bilinear resizing makes as compared to bicubic(0.0,0.6).
You will be able to quantify resizing filters very easily, as well as many other very subtle changes. Even something like DC precision shows up readily in the results. Matrices are also very easy to quantify in regards to effect on bitrate. That, coupled with a good subjective eyeball, brings different matrices into a much clearer perspective. One I use quite often is one I call Bach1. I'll attach it in two formats if you wish to try it. I would be most interested in what your eye reports if you have the time sometime in the future.
Quote:
However, I'll probably keep VBR on hand when I'm pushing the envelope ...
I guess we kinda diverged off the original topic as we have been discussing OPV encodes, so just to clarify for anybody reading, the method mentioned at top is about using multipass for the encode but using one OPV sample to give additional information about the compressibility of the source to avoid wasted time, and thus the title of this thread.

To get back to your comment, one of the areas badly needing quantification is whether a 'hybrid' 2 pass using OPV as first pass (which also creates a VAF), followed by a bitrate based VBR (using the VAF from the OPV) is superior or inferior or equal to a 2 or 3 pass conventional multipass on 'pushed' bitrate situations like you mention. I'm thinking this is a very important area to identify. It is difficult for me because I can't find decent tools to help me understand what I am seeing. As you said, BRViewer is a little suspect sometimes.

I suppose the best way is to use the inbuilt ability of CCE to analyze the VAF using the "Bitrate Allocation" button. To do this properly requires you to derive the bitrate of the OPV created mpv, load the OPV project in CCE, shift to multipass in the dropdown, and enter the DABR into multipass as average bitrate with the same Min/Max used in OPV before using the bitrate allocation button.

Gee, its raining in Texas ... I guess the lawn has to wait again

/Add: Couple of things to add. One is that Tylo has 'bottled' D2SRoBa in a small app that may be called "FastCCE" when he releases it. It takes a standard multipass ECL as its argument. That would allow the huge amount of work and research in D2SRoBa to be transparently added into any program that uses standard multipass as part of its routine. In fact, it is easily used in a desktop batch-file where you can just drag your standard multipass ECL onto it and away it goes doing the 1PassBach process with the conditional 2nd VBR pass for exact sizing. I've asked tylo to consider adding 'droplet' functionality and hope he will agree as it makes a complex process a no-brainer to use for anybody.

One other thing for the record, you mentioned something to the effect that this was my process. All the stuff above is just a compilation of others work. There may be some uniqueness in using it with multipass, but it is a trivial connection on my part at best.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bach_matrix.zip (390 Bytes, 978 views)

Last edited by DDogg; 1st May 2004 at 16:34.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote