View Single Post
Old 6th February 2011, 20:08   #53  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Anyone living on this planet and not being a complete idiot could easily notice a degradation in the build quality of the burners.
True. Often I have to pry open the trays before using two of my Pioneer burners, but they still burn really well.
Did you by any chance post in the wrong thread? The topic under discussion is "Typical dvd media lifespan"

Quote:
I still have and use first generations DVD-burners (can one spell 1x?)
I prefer to sit outside and watch the grass grow myself.

Quote:
Medium quality media (like MCC from Verbatim or INFOMEDIAR or MBI) are burned by a 1x Matsushita at 1x at max 50 PI and extremely few PO. Similar values are obtained (higher PO though) with various LGs and even Pioneers, only the Plextors could burn them better. MBI and INFOMEDIAR were not existent at the time when the burner was in production, and I think that neither MCC. So a burner of 2000, relying on its default strategy would burn better than a 2008-2009 burner (which assumingly has been tested with new media).
Sounds like a lot of generalisation without any evidence to me.
So you're telling me that a 1x burner built in 2000 is going to burn 16x media to a higher quality than a more recent burner?
I'll eagerly await screen shots of your burn quality tests after burning with your 1x burners. Could you burn a couple of fresh ones and post the quality results here?
You've never looked at the fine print on some high-speed (DVD16x) media and read the qualification that it's only suitable for use in a high speed burner? Or maybe they just don't print it any more, assuming not too many people really like to watch the grass grow.

Quote:
Unlike most other magazines, that present the tests so that the sponsor would eventually win, there is a German magazine that also contain independent tests (along with the paid ones ). Once a year there are burning tests with the current burners and media. The results are assessed using professional tools, like AudioDev or CAT, while the tests are performed using the standards.
AND????

Quote:
What confers quality to a DVD? Many issues, wherein the PI/PO is just only one item. Strangely enough, the quality of the DVD is given overwhelmingly by the glue - if the margins are not correctly sealed, water would eventually get in and destroy both the dye and the reflector (aluminium). Secondly in importance is the hard-coating, if any. The third most important factor is the jitter. Finally the PI/PO values. Very important was the even distribution of the dye, whis was tested very late, as at the beginning it wasn't needed. Now it is. The jitter is mainly caused by the burner.
Wouldn't it have saved you some typing, simply explaining why my last burns are better quality than your "premium collection" burns of yesteryear, and how it shows the quality of media has dropped?? Well, maybe not.....

Quote:
Now, please have a look to a 6 years old DVDR and then to a brand new one. And draw your conclusions.
I can't. All my discs of that age were burned using either an older, but surprisingly lower quality burner than the ones I use today (despite costing up to 10x more) or they were burned onto lower quality (but surprisingly still older) discs than the ones I use today. As a result, I've gradually re-burned them all using Verbatim discs and Pioneer burners.... well at least the ones which were still readable... and thrown the old ones away. So unfortunately, I've got to rely on pesky stuff like the evidence acquired through burn quality tests. I'll have to leave deducing the burn quality and predicting the longevity of the disc through the science of visual inspections up to you.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote