View Single Post
Old 17th December 2015, 15:51   #34709  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
feel free to step through each frame IVTC isn't needed for this file.
That all depends on if the decoder honors the soft pulldown flag or not and then what it does after that (deinterlace / pass as interlaced / etc).

Quote:
the output is already 23p the "only" issue is that madVR isn't switching to 23p and stays at 60 hz because source filter says it is 29p.
Again, it depends on what the decoder does. The various HW decoders all do slightly different things. For example, the Quicksync HW decoder will output that clip as progressive 29.97Hz video without a repeated frame and madVR will only find a 2:2 pattern. avcodec (software decoding) seems to be needed for proper handling of this and many other DVDs as well as HD 1080i MPEG-2 content.

Quote:
don't get me wrong madVR IVTC shouldn't fail in this case but this file is not a typical DVD.
From what I've seen it is a typical NTSC DVD. Most DVDs I've tested behave the same way, and I'm not talking about anime or small studio releases of non-theatrical content, but major studio releases of recent theatrical motion pictures. A few will indicate to the processing chain that they are interlaced, but not many.

Quote:
i guess the muxer did something to it but this is just a guess.
The .m2v extracted straight from the DVD does the same thing, as does playing the DVD. Putting it in a .mkv container didn't change the playback behavior of the MPEG-2 content at all.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote