View Single Post
Old 4th November 2016, 01:22   #3  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
There is no field blending. It uses pulldown on 1 frame every 5 frames to get 29.97fps from film speed animation created at 12fps. You can get 23.976 fps progressive by using inverse telecine (TIVTC), then use sRestore to get the original 12fps video with no duplicate frames. Anyway, that's the way it looks to me. What happened with all the aliasing in the background diagonals near the end of the clip is anyone's guess.

Code:
MPEG2Source("path...........\goons.d2v")
AssumeTFF()
TFM(pp=0).TDecimate(cycle=5,cycleR=1)
sRestore(frate=12)
goons_12.mp4 sample @12fps download (2.3 MB): https://www.mediafire.com/?v0n2eaadqeei926
The first part is 12fps content, but I'd be careful because the section of interest has more than 12fps content /motion . You'd be throwing away motion samples in that section. I'd guess that there are others sections in the actual dvd that are more than 12 fps content

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post
Trying now to process my Tintin DVDs, and dealing with a trouble spot in the first ep. This is not regular combing, it's something else, some kind of weird intermittent aliasing effect on edges (pay attention to windows and window sill in upper-left quadrant). Possibly field-blending? - but this is a mostly 23.976fps source that was produced that way in Canada, and I thought this was more of an issue related to conversion to and from 25fps. Going through the video, the windows and window sills appear to look fine in combed frames but rubbish in the otherwise good ones. Can somebody please explain what's happening here and if this is something that could be dealt with? Thanks.

The aliasing at the 4-5 second mark looks like parts of it had been deinterlaced at some point. As to why are only some frames were mishandled in that affected section, I don't know but somebody somewhere goofed up.

There is no "easy" fix that is "good"

Is this the only scene affected on the disc ?

One way is to use strong antialiasing filters , something like QTGMC in progressive mode (input type =1 or 2) or even stacking a few , to stabilize the BG, but that will cause lots of motion artifacts on foreground objects

Another approach is to do some manual work with rotoscoping/masks. Since the background is mostly static, and there are a few good frames to take parts from - you can try to make a BG clean plate +/- some antialiasing for foreground objects and composite them . So if it's more than a few scenes it's going to be a lot of work
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote