View Single Post
Old 26th July 2016, 22:39   #18  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
(sorry for thread hijack) or a mod can split this off

@feisty, while john is preparing, have a look at some of the native dji phantom 3 drone samples in this linked thread, which exhibit similar long GOP characteristics as to what I believe he is describing , but instead cloud shadows

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...-I-do-about-it

It's not long GOP per se in general that is at fault, it's the cheap / low quality compression specifically used in the drone. You can get much higher quality at the same bitrate, with only slightly more expensive encoding hardware chip. That drone uses no b-frames . It's a cost cutting decision.

So anyways there has should be a more elegant solution than "dumb" temporal smoothing, because you have a known 8frame GOP cycle, IPPPPPPP . So throw some oysters or other seafood at it
I'll start a different thread for this. Bottom line: the problems with the sample you linked to is very similar to what I'm looking at, but mine is far worse because it was taken at 2:00 a.m. and despite the midnight sun, it is still very dark, so the GOP problem is compounded by having a lot of sensor noise. The camera AFIK was the stock DJI Inspire (two operator) drone.

And you're right: the GOP is 8 frames long.

-----
[edit]Here's a link to my new thread on this subject:

Long GOP Artifacts

We now return you to your regular programming ...

Last edited by johnmeyer; 26th July 2016 at 23:14. Reason: Added link to new thread
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote