View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:20   #26  |  Link
JoshyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemuri-_9 View Post
my question this entire time of the thread is:
why are you patching a patched version of avisynth rather than the official version like the avs 2.6 cvs branch which has already had the multithreading features committed to it.
Well, I started with SEt's build because he had already gone through and shored up a lot of the problems with for loop variable scope. The more well behaved your code is to start, better it should compile.

It was my understanding that the 2.6 branch was still in alpha status. There's a fair amount of new functionality for new colorspaces that I didn't want to go messing with if they weren't done.

The 2.6 branch also makes more use of Softwire to dynamically generate assembly code. In the end, I honestly didn't want to deal with working around Softwire more than was necessary. Softwire is a bit long in the tooth to begin with, and the original developer took that project and it's now Swift Shader with a somewhat different focus, and closed source.

I took what seemed "stable" at the time, and just started working around there. There's no reason I couldn't merge these changes into the 2.6 alpha, I just wanted to be sure I was starting from a stable base.

That being said, anyone care to clue me in on the status of 2.6 as of now? I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I just wanted to poke around the source in my spare time. If there's enough new/stable code in there, I could definitely focus some time/effort in getting that code to target x64.

It seems that the work being done going forward is focused on other areas more important than an x64 code base. This whole thing is a bit of an experiment / sideshow. I thought it was interesting enough to share, hence it's posting here.

I know the eventual goal is to get Avisynth working cross platform, as well. A targeted win64 release would also be useless in the long run, if that's where the project is going.

Side note/tangent:
The inference about cross platform support for Avisynth can really be seen by looking at the MaskTools code base. I'm pretty sure the documentation for it explicitly states that it was written with the intent of eventually being cross compiled. The assembly functions for it are ALL contained in ASM files, and there's a lot of them. The layout is really quite elegant, I like it quite a bit.
JoshyD is offline   Reply With Quote