View Single Post
Old 26th January 2011, 21:56   #9  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgZach View Post
One with no header compression, and one with. The one with header compression would not even play (it would start the play screen, then exit immediately). And from what I could gleen from brief Googling, the issue with the WDTV and header compression is people complaining about audio files not playing (I'm guessing compression was not used on the video tracks). So in either case I think we can rule out header compression as the culprit.
I remember header compression getting used by default on all tracks at one point. This was retracted somewhat quickly though on certain a/v formats IIRC.

Quote:
The one I made without compression enabled, played pretty much flawlessly from what I could tell. However I did not compare different timecode format ouputs, so I won't make any accusations either way about that, as I don't think its all that important anyway. I can stick with V1 if I want to be superstitious.
Kind of as suspected, and sure -- I use V1 timecodes when I exactly know where certain frame rates are used and so on (24/1.001fps, 30/1.001fps mostly). Not to mention that V1 timecodes are usually much, much easier to edit by hand .

V2 timecodes usually come up when there can be a lot of different frame rates and the output is usually meant only to be handled by the computer (hence per-frame timecodes format). Albeit conversion applications do exist to convert between v1 and v2 timecode formats.

Different tools for different usage scenarios.

Quote:
I guess the problem with some of my older files, was the age of the tools? In either case now I'm at a different crossroads of sorts.
I would probably blame the tools, as there are bug reports of mkvmerge working weirdly with timecode files on the tracker etc.

Quote:
I can't decide whether to continue my current programming project (very early testing, but assuming I don't lack the skill, it would be a tool like YATTA only much easier to use and with a half decent documentation), or to scrap that and instead focus on writing a simple GUI to ease the manual script creation process (I will be doing lots of batch encodes) of a 2-pass VFR MKV using TIVTC...lol I guess its a more preferable problem to files that won't play right.
Personally I would love a tool like YATTA to be "re-born" in a way (And Myrs was hinting at maybe getting to it at some point using Qt -- although this was months ago, before he headed towards Chinaland).

Although nowadays it is indeed true that we mostly have content that doesn't need as much detail and manual work with the process of IVTC itself. On the other hand YATTA's pattern guidance as well as area-based filtering features etc. would be spectacularly useful in a more user-friendly package (or at least with more "user-friendly" documentation).